Alex has a wide finance transaction experience with a particular focus on trade and commodity finance transactions acting for banks, financial institutions and corporates.
Alex’s practice covers European transactions and emerging markets with particular experience in Africa and Latin America. His expertise covers pre-export finance, prepayment transactions, borrowing base lending, supply chain finance, letters of credit, documentary credits and UCP 600 and sovereign loans.
Alex has been highlighted in key legal directory, Legal 500 for providing ‘thorough commercial advice’.
- Advised the MLAs in a syndicated $210 million prepayment facility to a major international commodities trader’s Brazilian sugar export business secured against sugar crops, receivables and collections accounts in Brazil, Switzerland and the UK.
- Acted for an international bank providing a $90 million structured trade finance facility to an oil trading company registered in the Seychelles to support the sale of petroleum products by oil trading companies in the borrower’s group based in Nigeria.
- Acted for an African bank’s UK subsidiary in financing a gold mining business in Tanzania to meet its general working capital requirements and ongoing project costs at the Tanzanian gold mine owned by the borrower.
- Acted for an international bank providing a $250 million structured trade finance facility to an oil trading company in Nigeria in respect of the shipment of oil products to off takers.
- Acted for an international oil trader in relation to its syndicated $245 million revolving credit facility.
- Advised an international bank providing a $300 million structured trade finance facility to an Anguillan oil trader operating in Nigeria.
2014 – Partner, Thomas Cooper LLP; 1995 – Solicitor and Partner, DLA; 1995 – London, LPC College of Law; 1994 – Oxford, BA (Hons) Jurisprudence; 1992 – London, MA Soviet and East European Studies; 1991 – UCL, BA (Hons) Geography. Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales.
Alex Monk is highlighted for being part of a formidable team at Thomas Cooper LLP, which provides ‘better quality and better value than many rivals, and is nicer to deal with to boot'.Legal 500