Ernesto is based in our Madrid office. He specialises in shipping and international commercial law and is a member of our Emergency Response team.
Ernesto advises on shipping matters, including marine insurance, charterparties and bills of lading disputes, pollution matters and international shipbuilding and financing contracts, for shipowners, cargo owners, insurance companies and P&I Clubs. He also advises freight forwarders, in drafting and providing advice on the wording of logistic contracts between major operators and their clients.
Ernesto also has experience in the acquisition of Spanish shipping companies by non Spanish investors, corporate matters, insolvency matters and international sale, agency and distribution contracts. Ernesto is a licensed Yacht Captain.
- 2011 – Joined Thomas Cooper (Partner)
- January-December 2011, Rivera Abogados, Madrid, Senior Partner.
- 2007- 2010, Rivera, Tojeiro & Bravo de Laguna, Madrid, Senior Partner.
- 1998 – 2007, Actio Abogados. Madrid, Senior Partner.
- 1981 – 1998, Fernando Meana Green Abogados, Bilbao and Madrid, Partner since 1984.
- LLM, The University of Wales Institute of Science and Technology, 1981. International Trade and Transport Law. Dissertation on “The enforcement of documentary credits and the doctrine of strict compliance”.
- 1976 – Licenciado en Derecho (Law Degree), University of Valencia.
Peers often point to Ernesto Rivera’s previous experience and contacts within the London market as a major advantage to the firm.Chambers Europe, 2016